Monday 16 July 2012

First Day Back at Shine Academy


Today is my second day back in Kenya and my first day back at the Shine Academy. In some ways, I felt like I have never left.

From the moment the school gate opened, I was greeted by shouts of “Teacher Kun” and almost crushed under a swarm of kids trying to give me a hug.

The older kids that were in Nursery Class are now in the Pre-unit Class. I was treated to a spontaneous rendition of “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” - which I taught them last year. It was heartening to hear them sing it again, even though their version was missing the line “up above the sky so high”. I’m not entirely sure how a whole line got lost, but my lack of singing abilities is probably a contributing factor.

One thing that stood out was that the older kids were not only bigger, but also markedly more confident and individualistic. It was also great to see their impressive progress in reading, writing and arithmetic.

There were also 25 new faces to meet – the new baby class of this year. It will be a challenge to learn all their names. It took me about 3 weeks last time around with 50 kids, hopefully it won't take me as long this time round!

I’ll be here for about 3 weeks until the school term ends. It’s a really great feeling to be back. 

First day back for Teacher Kun

No comments: